I. The problem:
Increased demand for biofuels could have significant long-term impacts on several commodity markets. Current disputes on this issue (with rising prices in today's markets) require responsible policy.
II. The objective:
Introduction of efficient and low-disturbing policy options that enhance biofuels while minimizing the impacts on e.g. food and feed markets and biomass for power and heat.
III. The activities:
Review of current experiences with biofuels and other renewable energy policies and their impacts on other markets; Iterative stakeholder-supported development of low disturbing biofuels policies;
Model-supported evaluation of these policies' impacts on food & feed and lignocellulosic markets; Assessment of selected optimal policies' impact on biofuels development, potentials and costs.
IV. Your role:
a. Help us in finding more appropriate policies
b. Let us help you in defining threats as well as synergies associated with increased market presence of biofuels
List of participants
- ECN (Energy research Centre of the Netherlands/Energieonderzoek Centrum Nederland)
- VITO (Vlaamse instelling voor technologisch onderzoek N.V.)
- CIEMAT (Centro de Investigaciones Energeticas, MedioAmbientales y Technologicas)
- COWI (COWI A/S)
- IIASA (International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis)
- CHALMERS (Chalmers tekniska hoegskola AB)